Sunday, March 07, 2010

Spotlight: On Yuna


Alright, it's a Malaysian singer.

I don't normally listen to Malaysian singers, but this girl totally got me hooked.

I couldn't believe that she was a Malaysian singer.


Deeper Conversation was the first song I ever heard from her.

And from then on, my perception of Malaysian artists changed.

Yuna, whose actual name is Yunalis Zarai, was born on November 14, 1984.

Her birthplace is in Alor Setar, Kedah, Malaysia.

She is an independent singer/songwriter who has been writing songs since she was 14 years old.

Her first performance of her own songs was when she was 19.

On a side note, Yuna was also a law student at Universiti Teknologi MARA.

She completed her studies in 2009.

She also owns a blogshop (iamjetfuel.blogspot.com) as a side project.

Yuna's musical influences come from a few of my own personal favourite artists such as Feist, Coldplay, Bob Dylan and The Cardigans.

Her music is pretty much between easy listening and a bit of jazz.

It's the kind of music you'd wanna listen to in a cafe, if it were a live performance it'd be even better.

Yuna describes her music as "a cross between Mary Poppins and Coldplay".

I'm seeing the Coldplay part, but I don't get the Mary Poppins area.

It was due to the strong following she gained in MySpace that Yuna rose successfully in the Malaysian Indie scene.

Her band members are Farhan Fadzlishah on guitars, Efry Arwiz on bass, and Adli Ali on drums.

Though I doubt Yuna would make it to the international scene (unless she migrates), I do believe she has some promise in Malaysia.

But then again, indie isn't meant to be famous. It's meant to stay untapped, untouched , original and definitely NOT mainstream.

But if you're into indie, this is definitely a girl you wanna watch out for. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought Yuna is FFX character xD

Eileen said...

LOL. Noooo la. that's a different one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com